Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day - Not what you think

Today is Valentine's Day. It's truly a Hallmark holiday. I believe you should tell the ones you love that you love them every day - it's nice to get a card or a present, but why today? Do this for me on a day that I am not expecting it... that would be better. Valentine's day has other memories for me.

Having said that, it was today, 4 years ago, that we knew we were going to have a baby at 24 weeks. I can almost remember it like it was yesterday. I had been at John Dempsey for a week already. My water had broke on the 12th. Now for some, this would be okay. This is called PROM (Premature Rupture of Membranes), and there have been some ladies who have had this for months and delivered full-term. I was the worst case scenario, I was already having contractions and had been for a week. The only reason I wasn't was because they had me on meds to stop them. Once your water breaks, they take you off those drugs. It's too dangerous, risk of infection, lots of reasons they do this. So having my water break was the worst news ever. It meant that we were having a baby. If not that day then soon. Once they took me off the meds, it was waiting. It took about 12 hours for the contractions to start again. I had high hopes that it wasn't going to happen and was deflated when it did. That was on the 12th. Dave had decided to stay home that day. There was a storm coming, and he and Arran had been with me all weekend. Contractions meant that I was going to deliver sometime very soon. Of course he changed his plans to come up. By today, we were waiting. They had me on the delivery floor for most of the day but the contractions were still not close or regular so they sent me back to my room. Valentine's day went by without delivering. One more day in utero was a blessing.

No comments:

Birthday Ticker

baby

baby