Friday, June 01, 2007

Day 106

Gestational Age: 39 weeks 3 days
Weight: 6 lbs

They started PO feeds today, but didn't wait for me. It made me a bit sad, but I did get to feed him tonight. They started with bottle because they can see how much he is getting and give him the rest with the NT tube so that he is still getting full feeds. Since he has been losing weight, as much as I want to try breast, I want him to get the calories that he needs to start gaining again. He took to it like a champ. No apnea, stopped sucking to breathe like he is supposed to. The first two they only did 10 cc's (2 tsp). The surgeon said to give him as much as he would take so when I fed him he took 18 cc's and only spit up a little. Good boy! So this is another step toward coming home!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! He is absolutely beautiful. Yeah a feeding this is such an awsome step. I just know it won't be long before he' home. I can't wait to meet you Joshua. Luv you guys,

Kiah

Anonymous said...

As long as he's continuing to receive the breast milk, supplemented with formula for extra calories for now, he's in great shape. He's getting the 'liquid gold' of breast milk, ..and thats all that matters!

If only your breast had an ounce marker on it we could see how much he was drinking! :)

I figured they'd feed him the breastmilk by bottle first so they can make sure he actually was drinking and sucking correctly..and he is..so you know its only a matter of time before he'll be able to get the liquid gold straight from the tap! I bet within a week or so. Thats going to be wonderful for you.

Lactation consultants can help facilitate getting him on the breast, one of my friends it took her about 6 weeks for her son to get onto the breast but she never gave up. (I would have given up and just continued pumping! haha) My kiddo took both..he didn't care - he was just hungry!. Plus judging by the photos of Josh - he looks like he knows perfectly well where his lunch comes from! hahah

good boy! and Good job Mama in keeping up on the pumping..your hard work is 100% paying off. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

That is great news!!! Joshua must be so content!! After all he has been through he must feel so comforted to be in his mommys arms with mommy feeding him. God bless him. He will be home soon. : )

love,
Dee & Jeff

Anonymous said...

He's looking really good Dianna
He loves being held by Mommy
I believe he will be home in no time.
God bless

Anonymous said...

Just a little bit longer and Joshua will be home with his loving family! I can't believe how much progress he has made. None of this wouldn't have been possible without his parents love and devotion. Dianna and Dave, you truly both are Joshua's reason for being!

Love,
Donna and Ray

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie I am so happy he is doing well.


Megaen

Birthday Ticker

baby

baby