Sunday, March 18, 2007

Day 31

Gestational Age: 28 weeks 5 days
Weight: 920 grams
2 lbs 0 oz

Josh is doing well today. Nothing really to report. Same stuff as yesterday... still having desats on occasion... I got to hold him for about an hour or so... love mom time. It's what keeps me going... I could sit and stare at him all day. He is a beautiful baby.

In answer to a question posted yesterday (I am not sure by who since it was unsigned), it's highly unlikely that one could do a directed donation for Josh. First of all it takes 5-7 days for a directed donation to actually be ready to be transfused. Josh usually needs it immediately. If you want to donate, the Red Cross is always in need of blood and not just for one person. Please donate if you can.. having said that, Josh has a unit that he has been using since his first transfusion, and will use until it's gone. Since they only use a small bit of the unit, he can use this one for awhile. Blood for preemies, must also be CMV negative. This is a virus called cytomegalovirus and can be extremely dangerous to preemies. They also usually give them O negative blood. Exposing him to blood from different donors can increase his risk for infections.

And for Peg... Arran hasn't been able to see Joshua yet. For the first few weeks he was sick with bronchitis. UConn would have let him in to visit with a health check from the nurse. Yale won't allow any child under the age of 16 in until the end of flu season for risk of flu and RSV. So we have to wait about another 2-3 weeks before they will let him in. I know he is anxious to get in and see his little brother!!

Love to all.
Dianna

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course he's beautiful - look who his parents and brother are :)

Michele

Beebs said...

Hi!! My name is BB.. I delivered my precious little Angel ( Falyn Diane) on March 13, 2007. I was 24 weeks pregnant. She weighed 1 lb 5.5 oz and was 12 1/4 inches long.. We seem to have a lot of things in common.. Falyn is doing really well right now. She has to have a blood transfusion today and she might have to have surgery on the valve in her heart that was suppose to close.. She is on medicine right now for it.. She also is going to ahave a PIC line put in in the next couple of days. I had to have a C-Section because she was breech. I was really scared and still am and hope everything goes well with her. So far so good. I also have another little girl who will be 4 soon.. I delivered her at 27 weeks and she weighed 1 lb 12 oz and was 13 inches long. She had gastroschisis and had the surgery for her heart. So as you can see I do not have good luck with pregnancies. My uterus has tissue almost splitting it in half. I hope everything goes well for you and I hope to hear updates and to hear from you.. I know how it is and its nice to be able to talk to someone going through similar things. I will keep you in my prayers. and hope to hear form you soon.. If you want to just email me my email is kaybearnold@gmail.com.

BB

Anonymous said...

WOoohooo go Josh on hitting 2lbs. You keep it growing lil one. I bet you have one of the most proud mommys in that unit.


Megaen

Birthday Ticker

baby

baby